ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Well-Dressed

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Well-Dressed


I always have these perfect vinaigrettes at French restaurants, but the ones that I make at home are never quite the same. Well, I found one that is near-perfect, in one of my old treasured cookbooks, a signed copy of Patricia Wells' "Bistro Cooking" (thanks, Mom!):

2 t. imported Dijon mustard
2 t. fresh lemon juice
1 T. red wine vinegar

Whisk these together, then add:

2 T. creme fraiche or sour cream
3 T. olive oil

Whisk together until emulsified. Add salt and pepper to taste.

One thing that I have learned from the French is to use dressing very sparingly. Putting everything into a covered container and giving it a good shake are the best way to distribute the dressing evenly.

I had this on a salad of baby arugula, chopped proscuitto, walnuts and goat's cheese, a modified version of Salade Dauphinoise.