ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Zucchini Two Ways

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Zucchini Two Ways

It's all about eating more vegetables these days. Michael Pollan says it, Alice Waters says it, and even Jessica Seinfeld wrote a book about how to sneak them into your kids' food, so who am I to buck the system?

We had some nice zucchini left over from Charles's pasta-less lasagne, so I decided to make one of my favorite things, Zucchini Bread. I used a recipe from the Tartine Bakery Cookbook, which is quickly becoming my favorite tome for baked goods. It's a pretty classic recipe, with the addition of Orange Marmalade in the batter (which we had left over from a chicken recipe around the holidays), giving it an sublte, unexpected tang.


I love how sprinkling sugar on the top before baking yields a wonderfully cracked crust on top.


Then I was left with a bunch of shredded zucchini, so I racked my brain for something to make with it. I had remembered how much we enjoyed eating latkes during Hanukkah at the home of one of Charles's clients, and I thought - that's it, I will make Zucchini Fritters! All the taste, not nearly all of the carbs of our favorite potato pancakes. I used a recipe from my new Mark Bittman cookbook, "How to Cook Everything", and then added a really easy roasted pepper sauce that I saw on Rachel Ray (god, how I hate her, I even hated typing her name just now! I am NOT including a link to her site! Damn her and her recipes that are easy and taste really good! *spits*)


They were relatively easy, and soooo delicious! The leftover ones were easy to store and re-heat in the microwave - perfect for lunch the next day. I made a Baby Arugula salad with a simple lemon, olive oil and Dijon mustard vinaigrette, Portobello mushroom scrambled eggs, and the fritters. The sauce was fantastic on the eggs as well.

I could get used to this - veggies are FUN!