ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Cooking Out of the Box

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Cooking Out of the Box


I realize that I am well past 101 Cookbooks at this point. But in this case, a cookbook (and cook) found me!

Eric Gower contacted me on Facebook to introduce me to his blog, which is a offers a tasty glimpse at his life in modern, world-influenced cooking. From the first look, I was intrigued. Flavor, color, and a minimum of ingredients dominate. In several posts, "umami" is discussed and demonstrated with inventive, healthy, and easy to prepare recipes.

For a quick visual explanation of umami, I give you the FlavorWheel - more on this later, but it is plays a key role what Eric is into now, and is a term that is getting a lot of attention in the cooking world. He has also coined the term "flavor blasts" to describe the exotic punch of taste that he likes to add to a dish. For example, combining maccha powder with coarse sea salt to create maccha salt, a flavor enhancer which can be added to poached eggs or even chocolate to add a new and interesting dimension.


I had to wait for over a week to receive my cookbook, as it is on backorder and understandably in demand. Now it floats between the kitchen and my bedside table for access at all times. The photography is stunning, and the recipes all look amazing. This is truly a book for the home chef - someone who wants to cook unique and delicious meals, from what exists in the vegetable bowl from a visit to the farmer's market. I like the simplicity of the ingredients and instructions, and the fact that there is some technique, but it is not overwhelming.

Eric spent 15 years in Japan learning to cook in tiny kitchens, and clearly his style shows his love of food and tenacity in teaching himself to create new dishes that are influenced by, but not confined to, many cultures. I don't know many people in San Francisco that don't have kitchen challenges - a lot of us live in old houses, without much counter space, and with a motley crew of equipment in our arsenal. But what he teaches us is that it is not fancy gadgets that create great meals - it is us. And good, creative food does not have to be complicated. These are lessons that I look forward to being taught again and again.

I am working on putting together a group of people for a private lesson with Eric - that should be a real treat. Stay tuned, and I promise that exiting things are in store. And now, could you please pass the maccha salt?