ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: New World/Old World Truffles

Saturday, April 5, 2008

New World/Old World Truffles


I was successful at finding organic, decent-grade Maccha at Nijiya Market, so I spent an afternoon trying my hand at truffles, and they were a great success! I brought them to Susan's party, and complete strangers were introducing themselves to me after finding out that I had made them from scratch. One very generous woman told me that they were the best truffles that she had ever had - she even took one home to her husband!

Once I got the hang of rolling them, they were not difficult to make. Messy, but in a fun way, like making mud pies. One adjustment to the recipe that I made was to roll them in cocoa powder after forming them, but I have since talked to Eric and that was the correct thing to do - it will be corrected in future editions of the Breakaway Cook. I also dusted them with Maccha and then finished them with kosher salt.

Maccha Truffles
1 C. heavy cream
1/4 C. maple syrup
2 T. brown sugar
2 T. maccha
12 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
Pinch of Maccha salt or kosher salt

- bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan over gentle heat, add the maple syrup and brown sugar, and stir until dissolved, about 2 min.
- add 1 T. of maccha, stir until dissolved, set aside.
- place the chocolate in a large mixing bowl and pour in the cream mixture
- mix thoroughly and and pour onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, smooth it out with a rubber spatula
- cool in the refrigerator for about an hour
- scoop out a heaping teaspoonful and make a ball using your palms (* then roll in cocoa powder to coat - *my addition). Place on a tray or plate and dust with the remaining tablespoon of maccha. Use all of the chocolate, which will yield about 40-50 truffles.
- top with a light sprinkling of kosher salt