ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: A Perfect SF Day

Monday, April 7, 2008

A Perfect SF Day

Today was one of those picture-perfect San Francisco days, a day when it's hard to imagine living anywhere else. Despite a horrible, misery-inducing cold that has crept up on me, I managed to get out and enjoy my fair city.

Kirsten was in town visiting from Chicago, so we met for lunch at one of my favorite new restaurants, Serpentine. To start, we had their scrumptious Savory Bread Pudding, made with Nettles and roasted onions and topped with swiss cheese. The roasted carrots and salad were especially good today. I had only been there for dinner, and at lunch time the sunlight really emphasizes the airy/industrial space.


Then we did a little shopping in Hayes Valley, where we spotted this sign on the front window of new restaurant Domo. Precious.


I found, to my surprise, a new pair of Mauro Giuli boots at Bulo, and at 50% off! I have spent an entire season looking for the perfect pair of flat black boots, and they just looked up and said hi to me. I wore them the rest of the day, and I am still wearing them now!


A stop at Flight 001 yielded a purchase of some inexpensive and adorable Envirosax, the lightweight and ergonomic extra bag that folds up to practically nothing and can be slipped in your purse. We each got one for ourselves, and I bought one for my friend Jude for our upcoming trip to Vancouver. I also found a just-right slim black umbrella there, which has also been my list of travel necessities for a long time.



Miette Confiserie was looking especially cute and charming today, so we stopped in for a look-see and a chat, and of course a couple of sea-salt caramels to take with us. We learned from the owner Kaitlin that the kids from the French-American School are very much into Jawbreakers these days, especially the giant ones, and they have different methodologies on how to eat them. They will stop at nothing, even bleeding tongues - I don't know, after seeing the movie Jawbreaker oh, about 100 times, I don't think I could handle one.

We ended our Hayes Valley excursion at Christopher Elbow, where we shared a decadent cup of Venezualan drinking chocolate in their lounge (see below), then headed off to West Portal to the Bookshop and then to the spa for a little treatment.


Now it is off to dinner at Blue Plate - we are taking Jerome, the manager and one of the owners of Garcon, to this iconic restaurant. Charles is bringing a bottle of Joseph Phelps cab - a real treat, making this a far cry from a regular Monday night outing.

Tomorrow is going to have a hard time living up to today!