ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: "Wedding" Cake

Sunday, July 20, 2008

"Wedding" Cake

I haven't been blogging much lately. That's because I had been keeping myself busy with this giant project -- a wedding cake. Yes, a wedding cake - in my tiny kitchen (plus every square inch of my studio apartment.) And since nobody is crazy enough to trust me (and my baker friend Hannah) with their actual wedding cake yet, we organized our own "wedding."

It was set in Prospect Park in Brooklyn over the weekend. About twenty of our friends came out despite the hot summer day. It was a lot of fun. And the cake was delicious.



We baked 2 13-inch chocolate chili cakes, 3 9-inch, and 3 6-inch chocolate cakes to make up a 3-tier cake. We used this recipe from MarthaStewart.com. I made 5 batches of the recipe. Three went into the 13-inch chocolate chili cakes. We frosted the base with chocolate chili buttercream. The middle layer with peanut butter buttercream and the top layer with coffee butter cream.



We also made some white chocolate fondant to cover the cake. We cut out about 300 flowers from the leftover fondant to decorate the cake.



We brought the cake to the park in 3 pieces. Lots of heart-attack induced events on the way but we got there.



The cake eventually got eaten. They were delicious. Each layer had distinct flavor but also complimented the others. The cake help itself up really well during at least 3 hours in close to 100 degree outdoor weather.