ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: The Proof is in the Pudding

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Proof is in the Pudding


I like popsicles, but I adore pudding pops! Most recipes tell you to use instant pudding mixes, but it's so much better to make your own, and it doesn't take all that long. The key is to use brown sugar, milk with some fat in it (I used half and half mixed with skim, but whole milk would work fine), and good quality cocoa powder (I used one from Peet's).

These are easily made using plastic cups and wooden sticks, but I happen to love my popsicle molds from Tovolo, which make perfect, large sized popsicles, in a fun star shape. The handles catch drips at the base, and the tray is cool because you can remove one pop at a time without disrupting all of them. The first day I came home with the molds, I dropped one of the sticks on the floor and Lucy almost chewed it into a pulp - but I rescued it before too much damage was done. So that is the one that I use for me, guests get the picture-perfect ones.

Happy Summer!


Chocolate Pudding Pops
  • 1/2 C. brown sugar
  • 3 heaping T. unsweetened cocoa
  • 1/8 C. cornstarch
  • 1/8 t. salt
  • 2 3/4 C. milk
  • 2 T. butter
  • 1 t. vanilla
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt.
- Place over medium heat - stir in milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens enough to coat a metal spoon.
- Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla.
- Pour into a heatproof bowl with a spout and allow to cool. Pour into popsicle molds and freeze overnight. (note: the pudding is pourable, not fully thickened like a dessert. to use this recipe for just pudding, double the amount of cornstarch)
- If popsicle won't come out of the mold right away, run under hot water for a minute.