ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Nectar of the Birds

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Nectar of the Birds


(click on the picture to see it full size - worth it!!)

Jewelled coryphee
With quivering wings like shielding gauze outspread.
- Ednah Proctor Clarke (Hayes), Humming-Bird

Hummingbird cake is one of those southern foods that you simply accept, like Red Velvet cake and Country Captain Chicken. Its origin is unknown, but from what I have read, a recipe was published in the 1978 issue of Southern Living magazine and thereafter it adorned many cake stands across that part of the country. One theory as to the name suggests that it has enough sweet things in it to tempt the hummingbird, like nectar.

I first had a Hummingbird cupcake a few years ago at the Appel & Frank show, and I have been craving one ever since! Last night, I realized that I had all of the ingredients, plus a couple that would make it extra-special.

Pecans, the nut of the south, are a key ingredient. We had received a gift basket recently from Zingerman's, and included in it was a big tin of spiced pecans. While I love spiced nuts, I realized that Charles and I would never get through the whole thing on our own, and they would be just the thing for my cupcakes.


Then just yesterday, Kristina and I were at Cook's Boulevard in Noe Valley, and she surprised me with my very own jar of Vanilla Bean Paste! What is so cool about Vanilla Bean Paste is that it works just like regular vanilla, except that you get all of the wonderful flecks that you would if you used a vanilla bean - and for much less fuss. At $11.00 for a whole jar, it's much more economical as well. If you are unable to find it at your local specialty store, you can order it from one of my favorite Chicago suppliers, The Spice House.


The recipe is full of wonderful things: bananas, pineapple, pecans, and of course sugar and spices. It's like banana bread meets pineapple upside down cake meets pecan pie. Some recipes use coconut, but this is not true to the original version. The cake is extremely dense and moist, and the vanilla cream cheese frosting is the perfect compliment. I purposely frosted them very casually as I love the homemade look, and those beautiful little flecks are just perfect, like a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream! I will definitely be making these many times over.

Hummingbird Cupcakes
makes 24 cupcakes

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
1 8oz can crushed pineapple, with liquid
2 mashed bananas
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans

1. Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt with a whisk in a good sized bowl.
2. Beat eggs.
3. Add oil and vanilla to beaten eggs and mix until somewhat combined.
4. Add egg/oil/vanilla mixture to flour/sugar/baking soda/cinnamon/salt mixture.
5. Mix together pineapple, bananas, pecans until combined.
6. Add to the rest of ingredients and stir to combine. (my note: I found it was easiest to mix everything with my hands)

Bake at 350 degrees for ~25 minutes until golden and a cake tester comes out clean.
(Note, because the batter is so moist, you will have to watch the baking time. Mine took about 10 minutes longer than the suggested time - I removed them when I just started to see golden edges on one of the cupcakes).

Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1 package cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/2 T. Vanilla Bean Paste
1 box confectioner's sugar

1. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and cream cheese, scraping down the sides occasionally, until well mixed.
2. Add the Vanilla Bean Paste, mix until distributed evenly.
3. Add 1/2 of the confectioner's sugar and mix until incorporated. Add the other half and mix until it has a nice sheen.

Frost cupcakes and top with 1 pecan each.