ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: A Goji in Wolf's Clothing

Thursday, May 8, 2008

A Goji in Wolf's Clothing

Have you heard of Goji berries? Also known as "Wolfberries", they have been around for a long time, grown in either China or Tibet, and are highly regarded for their numerous health benefits - such as these that I copied from some site on the internet:
  • protect the liver
  • help eyesight
  • improve sexual function and fertility
  • strengthen the legs
  • boost immune function
  • improve circulation
  • promote longevity
I first learned of them from my very health-conscious brother-in-law Dan a few years ago, and then saw them at Leaf in Sherman Oaks, a very cool raw food restaurant that I wish we had in San Francisco. They come dried, like raisins, and are usually pretty expensive, like $15.00 for a little bag. Then, a few months ago, I found a big bag of them in Chinatown for $4.50 and it's been sitting in my cupboard ever since. They're pretty good, kind of like a cross between a vegetable and a fruit (like a dried plum), but not something I would mindlessly pop into my mouth while watching reruns of "Sex & the City".


So I was very excited when Eric posted a recipe for "Sauteed Kale with Goji" this morning. I have been thinking of ways to incorporate more dark, leafy greens into my diet (thinking about it a lot since my doctor told me to!), and also looking for something that I could make quickly after yoga, when I am feeling both virtuous and ravenous. A big, fat sandwich just doesn't cut it - afterwards I feel naughty, lethargic and bloated - and you know how easily bored I am with big monotonous salads. I've tried going the protein shake route, but swilling down a Big Gulp of chemicals only staves off my hunger for about an hour, then I need to eat real food.

After yoga class today, I ran out and bought kale and onions, dusted off my unopened package of Goji berries, and voila! Yummy, healthy, gorgeous lunch in just a few minutes. I decided to add toasted walnuts for a little extra protein (although Goji berries already have a good amount), and the flavor and crunch worked really well. I ran out of regular olive oil, so I sauteed everything in Lemon olive oil and that added a nice brightness. The kale wilted nicely, and the berries taste far better when cooked a little. Basically, it's sauteed onions, kale, Goji berries, salt, and pepper (and toasted walnuts if you wish):


I love this dish. The photo shows steam rising from the bowl as it was just out of the pan, and I was so excited to snap the picture so I could eat it. It is my new Go-to Goji lunch of choice!

P.S. if you are already a Goji berry fan, check out this UK-based blog for news and recipes.