ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Quinoa Pudding with Banana

Monday, May 5, 2008

Quinoa Pudding with Banana

New food. Some grains called Quinoa. It supposedly is very high in protein and fiber. It must be good for me. I must try. The box's instructions suggested using it instead of rice. So I'm making rice pudding - but with Quinoa.

Rice pudding.

With all the eggs and cream, that would defeat the health benefit of any super grains, wouldn't it? I wanted to make something that I can have for breakfast - not for dessert. So I must substitute. I started from this rice pudding recipe from Simple Recipes which already sounded five times healthier than most of the recipes I found on the Internet.

And I got this - my new favourite breakfast:



Ingredients
  • 1/3 cup cleaned Quinoa

  • 1 cup water

  • 1 cup soy milk

  • 1 egg

  • 3 tablespoons Agave nectar

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  • 1 banana

Directions
  1. Boil Quinoa in a cup of water in a saucepan for about 10 minutes or until the grains are almost cooked and water reduces.

  2. Reduce heat to low and add soy milk. Cook for about 10 minutes more. Stir occasionally.

  3. In a small bowl, beat egg with Agave nectar and vanilla extract and add to the saucepan. Stir vigorously until all the ingredients combined. Cook for a few minutes more.

  4. Sprinkle ground cinnamon over the pudding and stir to combined.

  5. Cut the banana into small pieces and stir into the pudding. Make 2 - 3 servings.