ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: 15 Mintues of Fame, with a Side of Fries

Saturday, July 7, 2007

15 Mintues of Fame, with a Side of Fries

Yesterday, Tim drove up from the Penninsula to have lunch with me. I took him to my new favorite spot, Mission Beach Cafe.

This place does just about everything right. It's casual, but with modern furnishings. It's low-key, but with a decent wine list. They serve Blue Bottle Coffee and use Heath Ceramics. I don't know if I could do it better myself.

While I was waiting, I ordered the crispy spring rolls with spicy apricot dipping sauce. These are vegetarian and a great start to a meal - Sean & I had enjoyed them the week before. They arrived at the table just as Tim was walking through the door - tousled and tanned from the long drive in the Land Rover. We were able to dig into these and launch into what turned into a 2-hour conversation.


I was having a hard time deciding what to have for lunch. Last time, I was blown away by the Turkey sandwich with aoili and slow-cooked brown sugar bacon. But I thought it was so boring to order a carbon copy of the meal I had had last time. Solution: I ordered half a Turkey sandwich, and half a Ham Sandwich, with oven-roasted tomato and gruyere. This option was not on the menu, but they accomodated me - love that. And, Mmmmmmmm.


It wouldn't be lunch with Tim without a little drinky, so we each had 2 glasses of wine. I had the Manifesto Sauvignon Blanc - very floral and fruity. After that, I had to have a cappuccino to even things out a bit. I have to remember to go to the Heath Factory store again and pick up some of these mugs. They feel so delightful in the hand, and the glaze has a remarkable silky quality about it...


I was really full, but both of us had dessert anyway (story of my life). This place makes sinfully good pastries and desserts - I think they got some award for best pastry in the city for this little custard cake that they make. More on that later. First, a generous slice of Banana Butterscotch Cream Pie. Damn, that thing was good.


As we were settling our check, both the server and the owner Bill came up to me and thanked my for my recent Yelp review. They were so gracious and sweet - it was awesome. That always takes me aback as I think that I write in anonymity, but somehow I happen to get recognized by business owners. Maybe it's the 20 pictures of myself I have posted on my profile page, ya think? It's a great feeling when they are truly thankful. Then, as if that weren't enough, they handed me a bag with two pastries as a thank-you. So nice! I went to visit Jude that afternoon and we gobbled this one up in the car. This is the award-winning one, can't remember the name but I will never forget how good it tasted.

It's like how food tastes better when you are camping - everything is a little sweeter when you are with good friends, and have done something to make someone's day.