ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Out of the Mouths of Babes

Saturday, July 7, 2007

Out of the Mouths of Babes

Thursday night I attended the book release party for the 826 Quarterly, a volume of creative writing by kids aged 8-18 who have participated in programs at 826 Valencia.

826 Valencia is a business owned by writer Dave Eggers, and for many years I thought it was just a pirate store, another kooky retail establishment in the heart of the Mission. (Listen to me, "just" a pirate store, like that is commonplace). Truth be told, the pirate store is a front for the real goings-on in this space, an non-profit, educational assist program for kids interested in creative writing. In addition to 1-on-1 tutoring, 826 Valencia offers workshops, field trips, in-school programs and publishing.

I applied to be a volunteer there and got in. I don't know if this is an accomplishment or not, but I know some people do not ever receive a response to their application, and I did have to go on an interview, so I guess it's something. I have been fingerprinted and now just have to get my TB shot and choose which program I want to participate in.

Since I've done neither of these things, I decided to go to the book release to motivate myself to start getting involved. Listening to the kids read their stories, I was struck by several emotions at once. First, delight in the wonderful creativity and sophisticated level of their writing. There was a 10 year old girl who was so funny and confident and lovely, the audience was laughing together in appreciation. Really, they were all wonderful - I wanted to hug every one of them afterwards and tell them what a great job they had done. Secondly, jealousy. That's right, I was slightly jealous of the opportunity afforded to these kids - I would have loved to have had a program like this when I was a young girl - an opportunity to practice your craft with feedback, guidance, publication...a writer's dream! I don't want to tutor, I want to be tutuored! I want to take a workshop! And lastly, intimidation. Kids today are really sophisticated - they move easily in the adult world of internet-surfing, DVD-watching, text-messaging and Juicy Couture buying activities. Especially urban kids in the Bay Area where you get a dose of political correctness from your first bite of whole-grain organic cereal in the morning.

Who the hell was I to think that I could offer anything as a tutor? The last writing class I took was 20 years ago, do I even know how to structure an essay anymore? I had visions of children staring at me incredulously while I blankly stammered and stuttered and ultimately skulked away in shame.

Then I remembered, kids are kids. No matter what modern devices they have or how many times their parents have made them watch "Winged Migration", they all need the comfort and support that a caring adult can provide. Guidance can be as simple as listening to them - and that's what kids really want, someone to listen. I can do that. In fact, I am very good at doing that.

I have been reading my volume of the Quarterly and getting excited about this new adventure. I will don my eyepatch and hoist the sails and go where the sea takes me.