ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: In a New York State of Mind

Sunday, July 1, 2007

In a New York State of Mind

Just a few months ago, I was going to New York on a bi-monthly basis. Then I quit my job. While I don't regret my decision in the least, I do miss hanging out in my second favorite city.

My friend Susan was planning a trip to the Big Apple, so she asked me to recommend some of my favorite places. While most of them appear on my Yelp page, I decided to compile a shortcut list for her so that she could print it out and have a convenient cheat sheet.

Below is what I sent to her.

Here is my list of favorite spots, with a brief description. If I have reviewed it on Yelp, there is a *:

Balthazar*, 80 Spring Street (Soho) 965-1414
- this is has been one of my favorite restaurants in NY for many years. Classic French brasserie food, gorgeus setting. Great service, and everything thing they do is just right. Great for breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner. Must have: Goat cheese tart

Bar Pitti, 268 6th Ave (Soho) 982-3300
- unpretentious neighborhood restaurant with excellent Italian food. Philip Seymour Hoffman is said to be a regular. Very nice owners. Must have: Tiramisu

BLT Fish* 21 W. 17th Street (Chelsea) 691-8888
- one of the "Bistro Laurent Tourendel" restaurants, which are fabulous. Elegant setting, inventive food, nice wine list, etc. The upstairs is dressier, and the downstairs is a crab shack with awesome bartenders. Must have: any fish dish

BLT Prime* 111 E. 22nd St (Murray Hill) 995-8500
- another "Bistro Laurent Tourendel" restaurant, and currently my favorite steak restaurant ANYWHERE. Excellent food. Must have: Bone-In Ribeye

Gobo* 401 6th Ave. (West Village) 255-3902
- this is where I go when I have overdone it one two many nights, and I need some restorative cuisine. Vegetarian with an Asian vibe. Nice atmosphere, large communal table Must have: dumplings

Home* 20 Cornelia St. (West Village) 243-9579
- one of my favorite restaurants of all time, certainly in New York. Small, intimate, wonderful food using locally sourced ingredients, wonderful staff. You'll only find locals here, no tourists. Great outdoor garden for warm summer nights. Must have: Onion Rings with homemade ketchup

Le Souk* 47 Ave. B (East Village) 777-5454
- Moroccan food on a lively block off of Thomkins Square Park. Sexy dark atmosphere and a DJ. Reasonable prices. Bars surrounding it to hit afterwards. Must have: Grilled Lamb (Bedouin?)

Stanton Social* 90 Stanton St (Lower East Side) 995-0099
- great restaurant in the trendy LES. Beautiful interior, including the upstairs bar. I have sent lots of people here and they've all loved it. Inventive and very tasty small plates. Also good for bar hopping before or after - be sure to check out THOR around the corner (the Hotel on Rivington) - it's a visual show-stopper. Must have: French Onion Soup Dumplings

One Little West 12th, 1 Little West 12th St (Meat Packing District) 255-9717
- modern, trendy, cool interior with good food. Great for groups or even just to get a drink. Lots of places to go out afterwards, including the roof bar at Hotel Gansevoort. Must have: Duck quesadilla

Kittichai, 60 Thompson (Soho) 219-2000
- absolutely stunning interior with great, modern asian food. Very sexy. Tim and Jessica went here and loved it, too. Must have: anything!

Bread Bar (Tabla), 111 Madison Ave. (Midtown) 889-0667
- make sure you go the the 1st floor which is Bread Bar, not the overpriced Tabla upstairs. Very unique restaurant, modern Indian fusion.

Campbell Appartment* 15 Vanderbilt Ave. (Grand Central Station) 953-0409
- this is my favorite bar in NYC, because of its rich history. Located in Grand Central Station, this was the former office of a business magnate in the 1920's and the interior is amazing. Must have: Prohibition Punch (for fun) or an Old Fashioned (seriously good)

I love my city of San Francisco, but I know I have left part of my heart in New York.