ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: I Scream

Thursday, July 5, 2007

I Scream

Great. There is already a new make-at-home food trend upon us. I'm in the middle of mastering cupcakes, have been thinking a LOT about pies (thanks to the new movie "Waitress" and the recent opening of Mission Pies), and today I read that the new trend is home-made ice cream.

So, now I have to shove aside the bread maker, juicer, Cuisinart, Kitchenaid mixer, blender, pannini grill and god knows what else to make room for a $250 ice cream maker? Huh? Are you kidding me?

This very well may be one of those projects that does not get done. There are plenty of wonderful ice cream establishments in this city, and I do not feel like getting my chemistry on to learn how to churn out a bowl of smooth 'n creamy. Laura Ingalls did it because she had to - Laura Ingalls did not live in the gastronomic mecca that we call San Francisco.

Here is a list of the ice cream stores that are in the Bay Area, most of which are within a 5-mile radius of my home. Average cone: $3.50

  • Joe's Ice Cream, 5351 Geary (Sunset) - this is the textbook example of an old-school, no-frills, non-chain ice cream store. Joe's has been around forever, and not only do they serve what is possibly the best ice cream in the city (it actually won a taste test), they also have a lunch counter for hot dogs and such. Often you will see parents that have gone there since they were kids taking their own offspring out for a scoop. I am addicted to the Strawberry, and my friend Denise swears by the Banana and Thai Tea. They also make their own version of an It's It Ice Cream Sandwich. Family owned.
  • Mitchell's, 688 San Jose (Outer Mission) - Mitchell's always has a huge line, and many people swear by it. Filipino style ice cream, very rich and creamy with a focus on tropical flavors like mango and coconut. I think they have something like 6 different flavors of coconut. I do not stand in lines, so I do not go there, but I have had the ice cream and it is very good.
  • Bombay Ice Cremery, 552 Valencia (Mission) - ice cream counter located in a funny Indian foods store in the Mission. Known for their exotic flavors such as Rose Petal, Cardamom and Saffron. Lovely ice cream, never crowded. I discovered Bombay in the Eat/Shop San Francisco guide book - a great source for everything.
  • Maggie Mudd's, 903 Cortland (Bernal Heights) - where you and your vegan/lactose intolerant friends can enjoy your frozen treats in harmony. Very good regular ice cream (I like the Peppermint and Lemon Custard), as well as Soy Ice Cream and Coconut Milk Ice Cream. They make your waffle cone while you watch. Hipsters, and children with 2 mommies congregate here.
  • Bi-Rite Creamery, 3692 18th Street (Mission) - the latest in ice cream for foodies. Salted Caramel and Roasted Banana are their best flavors, and they are coveted like a reservation at the Slanted Door. When you want something special or to impress, this is where you go. You will wait like you wait at Tartine Bakery, but you will be rewarded.
  • Swensen's, 1999 Hyde (Russian Hill) - Swensen's is the most classic of ice cream parlors on one of the most charming streets in the city. The last of a small chain. Has the dignity and elegance afforded to Yesteryear, when getting ice cream was still a rare treat. Will make you nostalgic for the "good old days" even if you don't remember when those were.
  • Sketch, 1809 4th Street, Berkeley (East Bay) - I have to confess that I have never actually been in Sketch, but I have tried their ice cream and it is delicious. Famous for flavors such as Earl Grey and toppings such as homemade marshmallows and cocoa nibs, supplied by Berkeley's favorite chocolatier, Scharffen Berger.
  • Fairfax Scoop, 63 Broadway Blvd, Fairfax (Marin) - this tiny place in crunchy Fairfax gets major kudos for using organic milk from local supplier Strauss Family Creamery. I drove 10 miles over the bridge, through San Rafael, and into Fairfax just to get a scoop of their Lavender Honey Vanilla. And I'd do it again.
Aside from those places, I have a few more on the list to try this summer: Polly Ann and Marco Polo, both in the outer Sunset, and Yogurt Bar, in the Marina (touted as the SF version of LA's Pinkberry).

There, I'm good. Crossing Ice Cream Maker off of the list - after all, I still have to learn to make Ebelskivers with that $20 pan from Williams-Sonoma that I just "had" to have.

Oh, and by mastering cupcakes, I mean that I read a lot of cupcake blogs. And by a lot, I mean one.