ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Coffee Chocolate Chip and Hazelnut Cookies

Friday, July 20, 2007

Coffee Chocolate Chip and Hazelnut Cookies

I'm moving up in the baking world. I got a cookbook! It's called "Cookies -- simple and delicious easy-to-make recipes." I found it in the second-hand bookstore on the way home from work. This recipe was rated very easy (out of easy, very, and extremely easy.) I reduced butter and sugar, used ground flax instead of bran, instant espresso powder instead of brewed coffee - and I got these....



Ingredients
  • 1 stick butter

  • 1/2 cup brown sugar

  • 1 egg

  • 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder

  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour

  • 1/2 cup wholewheat flour

  • 1 tablespoon ground flax seed

  • 2 cups oatmeal

  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

  • 1 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts


Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.

  2. With electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg. Add coffee. Beat until well blended.

  3. In a separate bowl, whisk all purpose flour, wholewheat flour, ground fax, oatmeal, baking soda and salt together.

  4. Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Fold in chocolate chips and hazelnuts.

  5. Roll the batter into balls, place them on the prepared cookie sheets. Flatten them with the palm of hand. Bake for 15-18 minutes. I baked mine for about 20 because I like my cookies crunchy. I got 32 cookies.


This is the first time I used hazelnuts. They have very strong nutty smell - kind of competing with coffee/chocolate. The cookies came out nice - not too sweet and very very crunchy. I think I left the nuts too chunky. Will pay more attention chopping then the next time.