ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Israeli Salad

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Israeli Salad

From my few years eating a few Israeli salads, I have never seen the same recipe. There are a few ingredients that have to be there: cucumbers, tomatoes, and maybe onions. Other than that - I guess if you can chop them you can put them in there. I have had avocado, feta cheese, parsley, oregano, mint, all kinds of nuts, etc. I have even seen leaves in there. Leaves! I'm not talking about herb. But lettuce... Preposterous.

One thing though about Israeli salad - the dressing is very simple: olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper. Although I have seen and tasted garlic in there - but I guess that still follows the rule of keeping it simple. Most of the flavor comes from vegetables in the salad.



This is my version - for this particular time.

Ingredients
  • 1 large cucumber

  • 3 tomatoes

  • 1/2 onion

  • 1 carrot

  • 1 red bell pepper

  • 1 cup frozen corn - defrosted

  • 1/4 cup pine nuts

  • 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

  • lemon juice from 1/2 lemon

  • salt and pepper

Directions
  1. Vigorously clean all the vegetable.
  2. Peel the cucumber and carrot. Uniformly cut all cucumber, tomatoes, onion, carrot and pepper into tiny cubes.

  3. Toss all the vegetables and nuts together.

  4. In a small bowl, whisk oil, lemon juice, a pinch of salt and a few shakes of pepper until combined. Toss with the salad. Serve immediately. For normal people this probably gives 4 portions. But I got only 2.