ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: It's in the Cards

Monday, December 10, 2007

It's in the Cards



Some people dread the idea of writing their annual holiday cards to friends and family - I actually enjoy it. I love picking out the card - it's usually a reflection of what I am into this year, whether it is graphic pop art, something small and sweet, or a bit of good-natured humor. When I was bitten by the crafting bug, I used to make my own hand-stamped cards, but that is a labor-intensive process that really should begin production in October. For the past couple of years, I have tried to make sure there was something hand-done about my selection - whether it was letterpress cards from Oakland's wonderful Carrot & Stick Press, or a design from local SF company Mototormouth Press (some of you will remember my Penguin & Snowball cards from last year - I bought those from the artist personally! Check out the super-cute game on the website). I buy a lot of cards, usually 80-100, so often I am forced to buy 2 different designs just to reach those numbers. But I try to stick to the same card company, at least.

This year, I am sending out hand silk screened cards by a company called Great Arrow out of Buffalo, NY. Silk screening is a very precise craft, requiring a skilled and steady hand to get the layering just right. Each one is slightly different, like a piece of art. It reminds me of the many printing mills I visited in my career in fashion and home textiles, and I suppose it's a bit of an homage to that as well.

So I've cracked open my address book, a lovely one from Fabriano that I have had for about a year or so, and cards will be going out in the next couple of days. As I write this, new cards are being delivered into my mail slot and I am looking forward to reading them, running my hand over the paper, and having a moment appreciating the thoughtfulness of the sender. That is what a card is after all, a physical representation of a nice thought, brought to you old-school style: in a hand-written envelope with a stamp on it, delivered to your door.

May you be in receipt of many of these thoughts, written or otherwise, throughout the holiday season!