ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Top Eats 2007

Monday, December 31, 2007

Top Eats 2007


  1. BLT Prime, New York - As much as it pains me to list not one but two NYC restaurants as my top picks for 2007 Eats, I have to hand it to Chef Laurent Tourondel. That guy really knows how to seduce your palate - and it does it in a way that is at once elegant and casual, keeping in mind the sophistication of today's modern diner, but also paying homage to familiar favorites. My experience at BLT Prime was perfect from start to finish. The bartender knew just what to make me (how I adore a psychic bartender) and the hostess and wait staff were on point the entire evening. But, that's New York, always a notch above San Francisco in their expertise in the service industry. What stood out for me most of all? My steak. A bone-in rib eye that had just the right amount of seasoning, char, and was cooked perfectly. It was the best piece of meat I have had in years, even beating out the butter-soft Wagyu steak I had at Craftsteak in 2006. All of the sides were perfect, too, washed down with a very, very special bottle of wine. BLT Prime, you are the Chrysler Building of restaurants for me.
  2. BLT Fish, New York - BLT Fish was actually my first introduction to the BLT world. I went there with Denise, who is a very discerning foodie and a pleasure to dine with. We were both blown away - from the presentation, to the taste, to the little touches like giving us a bag of home-made cotton candy to take home after our meal. What's really cool about BLT Fish is that you can go casual and stay on the first floor, which is "shack"-style, or go up to the more upscale 3rd floor, which is very elegant. Either way, you will be sure to have a great experience there.
  3. Mission Beach Cafe, San Francisco - Other than Garcon, I have probably dined at MBC more times than at any other restaurant in San Francisco this year. It is my go-to place for lunch, and I have taken no fewer than 5 people there to introduce them to the fine food of this lovely neighborhood space. They do things the way I would do them in my fantasy restaurant - using Heath Ceramics dinnerware, serving Blue Bottle Coffee, and having a pastry chef as a partner. The cannele's are to die for - a perfectly caramelized dome of goodness housing a soft custard center. The owner, Bill, is a doll, and we have a nice chat every time I am there - he remembered me from my Yelp review the first time I went there - soooo nice! What won me over was the Turkey Sandwich - now, I am not someone who craves turkey or sandwiches for that matter, but this one is superb. It's the combination of turkey, aoili, and slow-cooked bacon that makes every bite a joy. I get it every single time I am there. Dylan is almost always my waiter and he is so cute I could take a bite out of him like a cannele. One time, Jill and I did ask if we could adopt him, and he didn't say no.
  4. Bushi Tei, San Francisco - another discovery made with Denise on one of our monthly dinner nights. Bushi Tei has Japanese food like I have never had it before - the cooking style borrows from French cuisine, but there is something wholly Japanese in the experience. Every dish is artfully presented with a delicate marriage of flavors and textures that you have to concentrate in order to fully savor every bite. I had my birthday dinner here, and they could not have been nicer or more accomodating. All of the dishes are delicious, but the standout one for me is definitely the foie gras/pumpkin custard. Heavenly. Everyone always gets a kick out of the suped-up toilet in the bathroom - it puts other toilets to shame with its many features, including a self-raising lighted seat that is triggered when you walk into the room. Like the entire experince at Bushi-Tei, it's far from the ordinary.
  5. Cyrus, Healdsburg - I am usually very critical of restaurants that get so many accolades, because more often than not the hype far exceeds the food, and the atmosphere is too serious and self-conscious. Not so at Cyrus. I was treated to dinner here by my friend Shelley, and when I say treated, I mean treated. Dining there is a masterpiece in orchestration, matched by inventive, forward cuisine that is both sophisticated and playful. Like seeing a superb art collection, it's almost overwhelming to have course after course of so many amazing things (we did the Chef's Tasting Menu which I would highly recommend). The cheese course alone was portioned enough for a party of 6 and was incredibly rich and flavorful. After dining here, an appropriate follow-up would be a marriage proposal. It's that special.
  6. Two, San Francisco - best restaurant in San Francisco? Nope, not even close. But I have had so many fun experiences at Two this past year, that it brings a smile to my face just thinking of it. Two used to be the stuffy Hawthorne Lane, and chef David Gingrass and his wife decided to give it a huge makeover. Now, it's a semi-casual, small-plates oriented establishment, with an impressive bar menu and modern decor. Communal dining is encouraged, and Two is best for a group rather than for an intimate dinner. I think just sitting at the bar with a Grapefruit Martini and one of their amazing Raviolo's would do it for me. I had the pleasure of meeting David on my first visit there, and he is a really nice guy. Next year I am determined to take one of the cooking classes offered at Two and sharpen my culinary skills under their direction.
  7. Aziza, San Francisco - another sleeper in our midst, Aziza remained hidden to me until just this year. Moroccan food in the Richmond, using sustainable resources and with a drink menu to knock your socks off? Who knew? Well, I know now. Beautiful flavors, bursting with seasonal freshness, and artfully presented, at prices that won't break the bank. There are so many dishes still to try - I can't wait to go there again. And again, and again, and again...
  8. 900 Grayson, Berkeley - I was introduced to 900 Grayson when I was in Berkeley picking up a gift for Kirsten. The jewelry designer that I had gone to visit recommended it. It's in a converted house, which I love, and my server was so nice that I immediately felt at home. This is so important when you are dining alone - and I think that your senses are super-heightened because all you have to focus on is your meal. Well, my meal was darned near perfect. I was so excited that I could barely contain myself - I went right home and wrote a glowing review on Yelp, and then told everyone about it as well. I went there again with my friend Sean on a very busy lunch hour, and while the wait was excruciatingly long, the food was excellent. The chicken and waffles (a California legend of a dish) is worth a special trip.
  9. Chez Spencer, San Francisco - I got to pick the restaurant for our anniversary dinner, so I was certainly not going to miss the opportunity to dine at Chez Spencer, which had long been on my list of must-try spots. It was not at all what I was expecting, and at the same time totally satisfying. Everything is just a little bit odd, in a good way. The location is remote, the decor is neither fancy nor casual, and each dish has about one twist that makes it not run-of-the-mill. Unfortunately, these twists twisted in the wrong direction for Charles, who did not enjoy his meal at all. But back to me....I loved it! It's French, and the service is disciplined (which I like), but I wouldn't be afraid to show up in jeans (which I also like). Now I just have to find someone to go with me....
  10. Brenda's French Soul Food, San Francisco - unfortunately, Brenda's is suffering from too much press and it is a bitch to get in to (waiting in line sucks) - but the damned beignets and Creole food are too good to pass up. Ken and I went here for lunch on a weekday (hours are 8-3), and had a great time. The food is hearty, fairly-priced, and well-executed. It is really hard to find good New Orleans style grub in the city, so Brenda's definitely fills a huge void. Po' Boys, Gumbo, Croque Monsieurs, Fried Oyster Omlettes, and 4 kinds of Beignets - all ready to wash down with home-brewed Watermelon Iced Tea. Yum! I am usually still smiling even after leaving the restaurant and having to pass by the trannies and druggies that populate this lovely section of the Tenderloin.
Honorable Mentions:
- Too many to name! Just a few: Lahore Karahi, Fino, Barndiva, Weird Fish, The House, Plumpjack, Woodhouse Fish Co, Sociale, Garabaldi's....and on and on and on....

Bon appetit, everyone, and Happy New Year!