ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Top Tunes 2007

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Top Tunes 2007


  1. The Fratellis, "Costello Music" - this is by far my favorite album of 2007. Every single track is rock-solid. They play the shit out of their guitars while giving you enough pop hooks to keep your foot tapping and head bobbing. They are good songwriters, mixing genres like rock-abilly and punk with Brit-pop, and are not afraid to put together a pretty refrain without taking themselves too seriously. Why is it that Scottish bands, and people, are so much more fucking awesome than everyone else?
  2. Kate Nash, "Made of Bricks" - between this album and Lily Allen's "Alright Still", I chose Kate Nash as the more appealing/promising artist. She leans a little more towards the indie genre, while still being fun and girlish. Her voice is also more mature and interesting, and I think she actually plays an instrument. Mostly, I can't resist an album with a song entitled "Dickhead" - that's just too good. [Note: US release of this album will be in 2008]
  3. The Shins, "Wincing the Night Away" - since their incredible 2001 album "Oh, Inverted World", this band has yet to put out one disappointing album! I keep waiting for their sophomore slump, but it never comes. I don't always understand their lyrics ("New Slang" wins for most beautifully obscure song ever), but they are very nice and poetic and you can tell that James Mercer is a word-lover - he trills words like "crucible" and "repulsive" with attention to each one and its natural rhythm. Safe to say that they are my favorite band of the decade so far.
  4. The Kooks, "Inside In/Inside Out" - this album is just really enjoyable, and their sound seems more established than their short history on the music scene would indicate. I can never get "Ooh La" out of my head: "Pretty pretty pretty petticoat..."
  5. Amy Winehouse, "Back to Black" - it's so sad that Ms. Winehouse's social antics seem to overshadow the fact that she is an absolutely amazing artist. "Train-wreck" or not, I had the opportunity to see her in concert this Fall, and it was her performance that blew everyone away. Her songs have that underlying sensuality that reminds me of that scene in "Hairspray" when the kids just can't stop dancing to the "dirty" music. This album blurs the lines between age, sex, generation, and race in a timeless way. An instant classic.
  6. Mark Ronson, "Version" - Mark Ronson is a genius in arrangements. I have always been a fan of good re-mixes, the cardinal rule of which is that they must be respectful to, but sound completely different than, the original. Ronson totally gets this, and in addition to successfully interpreting beloved songs such as "Stop Me" by the Smiths, he manages to add his own signature sound to each track, so that the album is completely cohesive. I like Lily Allen's version of the Kaiser Chiefs "Oh My God" equally as much as the original, and more than any of the tracks on Lily Allen's solo album. A must-have album and great for parties.
  7. The Stanton Warriors, "Stanton Sessions Vol. 2" - apparently, I have seen the Stanton Warriors perform live twice in the last two years. The first time (the time I don't remember) was at Burning Man in '06, after a jamming performance by Freq Nasty and Bass Nectar. The second time was at Fabric in London this November. This is the first electronica album that I have really gotten into in a while, and now it stands among my favorites with Thievery Corporation and Kruder & Dorfmeister. What I like is that they incorporate different styles of music, like reggae and rap, into their beats, sort of like Thievery, but more driving. If you see me car-dancing these days, you can be sure that I am listening to the Stanton Warriors.
  8. Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins, "Rabbit Fur Coat" - this is not a new album, in fact it was released in January 2006, making it almost 2 years old. But I heard it for the first time late this year, and immediately fell it love with it. Jenny Lewis has a beautiful and pure voice, reminiscent of Alison Krauss, but her lyrics have a darkness, edge and campiness that is fitting with her L.A. roots. The Watson Twins are wonderfully weird as well - they have a Southern gothic quality that I find so appealing. The standout track is "Rise Up with Fists" - my favorite line being : "it was not pretty, but she was (...not your wife)" Goooooood stuff.
  9. The Decemberists, "Picaresque" - another not new album (2005), but new to me! The Decemberists had been on my radar for a few years, but I had never gotten around to buying one of their albums. I finally did late one night, one of those late, late nights when I was searching the internet desperate for new music, and I was very happy when I finally bought it. Their sound is pure American indie, with a twist: kind of Violent Femmes meets Billy Bragg, pleasant with a slight sneer and reminiscent of traditional ballads from lands afar.
  10. Hard Fi, "Once Upon a Time in the West" - not as good as their amazing debut album "Stars of CC TV" but still great. It was between this and the Kaiser Chiefs "Yours Truly, Angry Mob", and I probably like both albums equally, but "OUATINW" has less-silly lyrics. Oh what are you going to do, it's pop. I am kind of a sucker for their ballad-driven songs - takes me back to the '80's in a very good way (like a Housemartins way).

Honorable Mentions:
  1. Spoon, "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga"
  2. Bloc Party, "A Weekend in the City"
  3. Kaiser Chiefs, "Yours Truly, Angry Mob"
Could Be Contenders*:
  1. LCD Soundsystem, "Sound of Silver"
  2. Robert Plant/Alison Krauss, "Rising Sand"
  3. Wilco, "Sky Blue Sky"
* (I keep seeing these albums over and over on Top 10 lists, but I have yet to buy them. However, they sound REALLY promising)