ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Banana Ice Cream

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Banana Ice Cream

Want to eat 5 bananas in one sitting? Make this banana ice cream. I almost did. I will have to buy more bananas and fight with fruit flies to make more of it. It's too delicious.



The picture doesn't do justice. But I couldn't do it. If it's in my face, I have to eat it. So I couldn't take my time trying to get nice pictures.

I made a few modifications to the recipe and ended up with
  • 5 bananas

  • Juice from 1 lime

  • 1/2 cup corn syrup

  • 1/2 cup heavy cream

  • 1 vanilla bean

I watched this Alton Brown episode and he explained why we need to freeze the bananas and let them thaw before pureeing them with the other ingredients. It had something to do with tearing up cell walls with ice particles. It made sense to me at the time. I just can't explain it. He also explained why we should chill the processed ingredients before transferring into an ice cream maker. He said the colder (not frozen) the mixture is, the smaller ice crystal will be and that makes smoother ice cream.


I froze the ice cream in small individual jars so that I don't eat the whole batch in one sitting and if I have leftover I won't have to re-freeze the ice cream.