ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Omnivore Without the Dilemna

Monday, July 13, 2009

Omnivore Without the Dilemna


Several months ago, I had the idea to open up a bookstore specializing in cookbooks and all things food related. I imagined bringing authors in for readings, and holding cooking events. It was a great dream, until I realized that someone had already come up with it, and what a delightful job they had done.

On Saturday, I was invited to attend a reading at Omnivore Books in Noe Valley, which was a perfect excuse to check out the store. I must have walked by it a few times before noticing this sign on the corner, pointing the way to a small, one-room store filled from floor to ceiling with cookbooks, how-to books, and best of all, vintage cookery books from every era.


The two guest authors of the day were Giulia Melucci, I Loved, I Lost, I Made Spaghetti and Emily Franklin, Too Many Cooks: Kitchen Adventures with 1 Mom, 4 Kids, and 102 Recipes.


It was a small group that was assembled to hear the readings, which felt very intimate and casual. I left with a signed book, some magazines, and a few other books that I just couldn't live without, one of which was the just-out "Guide to Better Bacon" from the Zingerman's mail-order food emporium in Ann Arbor, MI.


While there are recipes inside, let it be noted that I did not buy any cookbooks, although I looked at some great ones, and was very tempted!

I had a very nice talk with the store owner, through which I discovered that she and her partner were leaving for France in a few days. It turns out that I had some Euros in my wallet left over from my trip, which she gladly exchanged for dollars...not your usual occurrence in a book store! They also had local free-range eggs for sale at the counter, as if I needed another wonderful reason to love it.

Aside from hosting guest authors, Omnivore holds events like last Thursday's Fried Chicken Taste-Off (which I sadly missed), and an upcoming Pie Contest.

While I am disappointed to see my great idea already taken, I am delighted to see that someone else had the same vision and executed it so well. Happy to be a fan and customer of this very special store.