ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: I Don't Give a Crepe

Monday, July 6, 2009

I Don't Give a Crepe


When you order a savory crepe, this is what it should look like. Sweet crepes are made with regular flour, and have that white/golden appearance, but savory crepes should always be made with buckwheat flour and appear cappuccino brown like this.

My favorite crepe is ham and cheese with an egg on top, but this was a late afternoon meal and I decided to try the mushroom and cheese one. We were at a nondescript cafe in the square in Mirepoix, and it while it could have easily been mediocre, it was just perfect.

Crepes are one of those things that I have no desire to master. I prefer to watch a professional make them, using the big round metal plate and sweeping it around with a spatula. They fold it so nicely, encasing the ingredients in such an efficient little package, like an envelope. The garnish on top makes it extra nice and so pleasing to the eye. Details make the experience that much nicer, even on an uneventful weekday afternoon.