ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Big Al's K.C. Bar-B-Q Sauce

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Big Al's K.C. Bar-B-Q Sauce

I have been looking for a good BBQ sauce recipe for a while now. Mostly I wanted to find a sauce that didn't have high fructose corn syrup as the #1 ingredient. I hit the jackpot with this one. I found it on allrecipes.com. It has 367 five-star reviews and no reviews less than 5 stars. Lets just say I don't think I will be buying bbq sauce again. I fed it to Mark's family of non-meat eaters, and they loved it. It even got Hannah to eat chicken-that's big.

2 c. ketchup
2 c. tomato sauce
1 1/4 c. brown sugar
1 1/4 c. red wine vinegar
1/2 c. unsulphured molasses
4 tsp. hickory flavored liquid smoke
2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. coarsely ground pepper

In a large saucepan, over medium heat, mix together all the wet ingredients and then add the seasonings. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes-longer for thicker sauce.

Brush onto any kind of meat during the last 10 minutes of cooking.

The ingredient list is long, but I had a lot of the stuff on hand. You can find liquid smoke near the bbq sauces at the grocery store. I was a little skeptical about the liquid smoke, but I decided to try the recipe "as is" the first time, before I tried tinkering with it. I am glad I did, because I really like the flavor: tangy, but not too tangy; not too sweet; just a hint of smoky flavor. I like my sauce thicker, so I let it simmer about 40 minutes. The recipe made about a quart and a half of sauce, so I have just kept it in a container in my fridge. I'm not sure how to label it so I'm putting it under main dish. Maybe we can add a sauces category later.