ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Flax Seed Bread

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Flax Seed Bread

I don't care that flax is not the wonder grain I thought it was. I decided I like how weirdly slimy and crunchy it feels in my mouth. This bread tastes like it's good for you. It's dense, yeasty, with the flax seed crunch that makes me chew forever. Maybe this should be called macrobiotic bread since it makes me chew more. I have a need to chase all the seeds with my teeth whenever I take a bite of it.



I adapted the no-knead bread recipe to use 200 grams whole wheat flour, 200 grams all purpose flour and 100 grams flax seeds with 375 grams water. Flax seeds really benefits from the 18-hour fermentation in this recipe (plus it's too hot to knead anyway.) They softened and became weirdly and flavorfully slimy.



I have made this in a loaf pan at lower temperature to produce softer sandwich bread. But I think the dutch oven version which made crusty and chewy bread is definitely prettier and more delicious.