ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Strawberry Greens

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Strawberry Greens



Earlier this week I attended an Urban Indoor Picnic with 3 of my lovely girl friends. Traditionally we have done this picnic in the park, but yesterday was cool and foggy, which is often the case during San Francisco summers. We all made dishes, set them out, opened a bottle of wine, and sprawled out in the living room, thoroughly enjoying ourselves. Our hostess Kelly made one of her famous salads, which was a simple green salad with tons of fruit - strawberries, blueberries, oranges, and goat cheese. It was divine - none of us could stop eating it.

Today I wanted to make something reminiscent of that. I happened to have strawberries, greens and goat cheese, so I was good to go. What I craved was a sweet and savory dressing - so I went for a classic poppyseed dressing. This recipe makes a lot, so it's great for a party or to use during the week. The milky color does not come from dairy, but rather from emusifying all of the ingredients together. I totally forgot about gradually adding the oil, and just dumped it in with the rest of the ingredients, and gave it a whir with my immersion blender. Tastes like summer!


Poppy Seed Dressing
  • 1/3 C. white sugar
  • 1/2 C. white vinegar
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1 t. ground dry mustard
  • 1 teaspoon grated onion
  • 1 C. vegetable oil
  • 1 T. poppy seeds
Combine sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard and onion and process in a food processor or blender (or with an immersion blender) for 20 seconds. With the blender or food processor on high, gradually add oil in a slow, steady stream. Stir in poppy seeds.