ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: It's Cookie Thyme!

Thursday, June 3, 2010

It's Cookie Thyme!


Here's what happens to me all the time - I buy an ingredient for a recipe, use a fraction of it, and then end up throwing it in the compost when it finally spoils (read: turns to unidentifiable sludge).

Today's ingredient was fresh thyme, which I used for my Bacon and Caramelized Onion Tart.

I decided to face this problem head-on by making a batch of Martha Stewart's Cornmeal Thyme Cookies. They use quite a bit of thyme, and they are a nice blend of savory and sweet. I have a friend who doesn't really like cookies or cake, and since it was her birthday, I thought these would be a nice gift since they aren't too sweet.

I used raisins because that was what I had, but they're even better with currants, as the original recipe calls for. Currants are smaller so they get distributed in the dough better, and you get that sweet/savory taste with every bite.

For me, these are the perfect tea cookies. The biscuits that they serve in England are not too sweet, and I find that is best with tea. I love the texture of the cornmeal and the bites of coarse salt that surprise you every now and then.

For gift giving, use a cookie scoop to ensure that each one is relatively the same size. That and parchment paper are a cookie cook's best friends.