ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Beef Green Curry with Chinese Eggplants

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Beef Green Curry with Chinese Eggplants

After a few weekends of eating out in fancy restaurants, I felt a need for home cooked food. I enjoy eating out. But the bill and the commute home with extremely full stomach are not quite ideal. So I plot to invite a few of my friends over for dinner at my apartment on Sunday night instead of eating out. This way there's no bill and no commute home (for me). And my food is as good as any restaurant food. Perfect!

I made Miang-Kum. It was perfect for the hot weather and my chilli loving friends. With stems leftover from collard green I used for Miang-Kum, I made collard green stem spicy salad. The recipe is kind of experimental but I'll post it here soon.

And for the main dish, I made beef green curry with Chinese eggplants served with rice - which was very well received by my guests.



Ingredients
  • 2 pounds of beef (I used top sirloin) - sliced

  • 2 Chinese eggplants, cleaned, trimmed and cut into chunks

  • 1 head of garlic - peeled

  • About 3 inches of ginger - peeled

  • 5 shallots

  • 5 kafir lime leaves (or substitute with lime zest)

  • 2 cans coconut milk

  • 1/2 cup green curry paste

  • 1 tablespoon cooking oil

  • 1 teaspoon raw sugar

  • Fish sauce to taste

  • About a cup of picked Thai basil


Directions
  1. Chop garlic, ginger, shallots and lime leaves really finely. I put everything in a food processor and let it run for about 1 minute.

  2. Coat the bottom of a large pot with oil and place on a stove top at medium high heat. Stir curry paste and chopped spice in the heated pot for about 30 seconds. Be careful not to burn.

  3. Pour two cans of coconut milk into the pot. Add beef. Reduce the heat to medium and let the beef cooked. Stir occasionally so that pieces of beef cooked evenly.

  4. When the beef is cooked, reduce the heat to low and add eggplants. Add sugar and fish sauce to taste. Take care not to let the curry bubble or boil.

  5. When the eggplants are cooked and soft but not too soft, turn off the heat. Sprinkle Thai basil over the curry. Serve with cooked rice.


I wish eggplants keep their color when cooked. The dish would have been much prettier.