ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Sartorial Blunders

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Sartorial Blunders


I was recently introduced to a wonderful fashion blog, the Sartorialist. Scott Shuman, who was in the fashion industry for years (in menswear) posts pictures of real people on the streets, all over the world, wearing awesome ensembles. Sometimes he makes comments about a trend or observation, but most times the pictures just speak for themselves. No stylist could do it better than real people - I have always believed that. I always love the personal touches - a scarf, a vest, a bright pair of shoes. When I worked on 57th Street in NYC in the early 90's, I would often spot Bill Cunningham shooting away for his "On the Street" pitorals for the NY Times. His patience always amazed me.

I was thinking that it would be fun to do a fashion blog as well, but in a more quirky style. Often people's choices puzzle me - not in the sense that I am making fun of them, I just want to know the backstory. Recently we were at a wedding up in Sonoma, and I spotted this guy dressed nicely, but clearly wearing 2 different colored socks. A mistake (in a rush, dressing in the dark?) or deliberate ("I may be dressed up but my socks clash! Yeah! Rock 'n roll!")?


Hmm, I wonder what the Sartorialist would have to say about that?