ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: You Like Me, You Really Like Me!

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

You Like Me, You Really Like Me!

Sometimes I feel like this old-school, invisible Yelper, writing in the dark unnoticed, trying to be "Useful", "Funny" and "Cool" in a vacuum, while the new kids enjoy their accolades with their shock-writing and tales of drunken escapades. Life lesson: Apparently, I am far more useful (2708 votes) and cool (2661) than I am funny (1457) - sigh.

This week I was reminded that someone out there is reading my stuff, as I had a mention for my review of Spruce in the weekly newsletter, and I just got ROTD (Review of the Day) in Oakland for La Borinquena.

This is especially relevant in light of the fact that I went to La Borinquena with Sean, who is running for District 3 City Council, and as I write this, is waiting for the votes to be tallied from tonight's election. Not only am I honored to have my work chosen by the powers-that-be, I am thrilled to have brought the fabulous Tina Tamale and her family restaurant some recognition (it's awesome). Tina wrote me a very nice compliment minutes after my review hit the main page, right after she returned from Sean's poll-counting party. And I love that Sean is in my review, for all to see on his special day.

And now I would like to thank all of the little people...

Here is the review du jour, East Bay style:

La Borinquena Mexi-catessen and Specialty Shop
582 7th St
Oakland, CA 94607
(510) 444-9954

***** (5 stars!!)

This place really is a Mexi-catessen! On one side, a friendly, family-owned restaurant, featuring made-with-love tastes of grandma's (mexican) cooking that will leave you full and happy, with change to spare. On the other side, a store where you can buy all sorts of supplies and condiments, and a pinata selection like no other.

I enjoyed a weekday lunch there with man-about-town Sean S. and I was pleasantly surprised to see how many vegetarian options they offered, even vegetarian chips.

I stuffed myself silly with the combination plate - a pork tamale, a chicken soft taco, rice, and pinto beans. Oh, and chips, salsa, guacamole, and a refreshing horchata to wash it all down - I think all of that (which would have been a family dinner for most people) set me back around $11.00. If you don't want to walk away with that Tight Pants feeling, you can easily get full for around $7-8.00.

The food was delicious, flavorful, and fresh fresh fresh. The chicken in the taco felt like it had been pulled off of the bird mere minutes before making my dish - big chunks, not small shreds like at some places. The pork tamale was delicious and tender and savory - I wish I had gotten some to take home for later!

The best part of all was meeting Tina herself. She is as bright and cheerful as the colorful decorations that cover the restaurant.

I'll be back soon for some more comfort food, Mexican style - with a shopping bag in hand to stock up on some food for later!