ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: The Law of Tea

Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Law of Tea


I had kind of a cute exchange with the counter girl at The Greenhouse Cafe today. She had just prepared my Coconut Black Tea and was handing it to me.

Me: "So, is this good with milk? Or just black?"
Her: "I like it with milk or cream. Maybe a touch of sugar to sweeten it a little."
Me: "Cool."
Her: "Give it a few minutes, you've gotta let it steep."
Me: "Oh yeah, sure. Of course."
Her: "I don't know why it is, but you cannot add the milk while the teabag is steeping. It just stops the steeping altogether."
Me: "Oh my god, I know! I have tried millions of times, and you just end up with milky weak tea. It tastes like dirty water."
Her: "Exactly!"
Me: "And you just have to start all over again."
Her: "Totally! You can never get it back. It's just...over."
Me: "And if you do it again, you have just spent twice as long as if you did it right the first time."
Her: "Yup. That's just how it is. You have to wait. You have to let it steep."
Me: "You have to be patient."
Her: "It's the Law of Tea."
Me: "The Law of Tea."

---moment of silence---

Her: "Enjoy your tea!"
Me: "Thanks!