ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Rhubarb Crisp

Monday, June 16, 2008

Rhubarb Crisp

I love this time of year. Every week I go to the farmer's market, I find something new to bake. This past week I found rhubarb. I bought 2 pounds. I love them. They make me feel less guilty eating them in my baked goods. It feels like eating dessert celery.

I decided to make crisp to have for breakfast with yogurt. Nothing beats dessert for breakfast.



Ingredients
  • 2 pounds rhubarb, cleaned - trimmed and cut about 1/2 inch long

  • 1/2 cup Agave nectar

  • 1 tablespoon ground psyllium husk to absorb rhubarb juice and for added fiber (or use 2 tablespoon of all purpose flour)

  • 1 cup rolled oats

  • 1/2 cup almond flour

  • 1/4 cup raw sugar

  • 1/4 cup chilled butter

  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts


Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees

  2. In a 2.2 Qt. Pyrex baking dish, toss chopped rhubarb with Agave nectar and ground Psyllium husk.

  3. In a large bowl, combine oats, almond flour, raw sugar and walnuts together. Cut in the butter. Sprinkle over the rhubarb and bake for about 45 minutes.

  4. Let cool and serve with vanilla yogurt (or ice cream but that wouldn't be breakfast.)



The crisp turned out almost sugar free. I guess you can omit raw sugar and make it totally sugar-free. And it's gluten free!

Don't get me wrong though. I love gluten. I love bread. This is unintentional. I just found that crisps came out crispier longer when I use almond flour instead of all purpose flour.