ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: BRAT for a Week

Friday, April 16, 2010

BRAT for a Week


So what's the worst possible thing to happen to a food blogger? Besides food poisoning, the stomach flu. Which is actually not technically a "flu" but a combination of viruses called gastroenteritis, and is a big hot steaming mess of misery and suffering.

I know all of this because I was hit hard with it last Friday. Hard as in brought me to my knees for about 8 hours in the bathroom, followed by 3 days of not moving from bed (including fever), and another 4 days of general aches and misery. Don't worry, this is a food blog - no details will be shared.

For my food intake, it has meant that I am reduced to drinking a lot, especially electrolyte-rich drinks (thank you Dragonfruit Vitamin Water) and eating a diet suitable for toddlers and the elderly. The sort of modern old-wives guideline for easily digestible foods is called BRAT:

Bananas
Rice
Applesauce
Toast

It's been interesting watching my system repair itself, and let me tell you, I am ever-so-grateful for any new food that it will allow me to handle. The first day of banana was like a revelation - I had never tasted a more banana-y banana in my life. I am completely sick of toast, so have moved on to whole grain Cream of Wheat and plain pasta in chicken broth. What is completely absent at the moment is dairy, fat, meat, and vegetables - basically, my regular diet! I miss real food terribly, but I am in no hurry to push myself beyond what I can handle. My system will "grow up" when it is good and ready, and for now, baby steps are fine.