ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Caramel Candy

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Caramel Candy

This was my third attempt at making caramel candy. The first attempt turned out too soft that I had to keep the candies in the refrigerator at all time. The second attempt, with the help of a stuck candy thermometer, I got a giant black rock which I promptly trashed before anybody could turn it into a weapon.



This one, I dare say, was a success!!! Although the candies went soft at room temperature in Thailand and they still had to be kept in the refrigerator. But at almost 40 degrees Celsius (about 100 degrees Fahrenheit) even my Chapstick had to be kept in the cold box.




I followed the first recipe from this page which is super easy with only a few simple ingredients. My candy thermometer was still stuck but I kept the time and continuously testing the texture under cold water.

My brother said that these candies tasted very similar to Jacques Torres' (at about a dollar a piece!) but mines didn't melt in the mouth as much as the professional candies. Mines were also more difficult to chew because they were huge. I said I almost broke my hands cutting those pieces so shut up.