ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Slow Food

Monday, April 19, 2010

Slow Food

I photographed my first two meals since being ill, the taste of which I will never forget.

The first was scrambled eggs on toast. 6 days without any protein had left me feeling weak and lethargic. What a jump-start to the system in such a simple form.


My first dinner was Capellini Pomodoro from Mozarella di Bufala. It is their most simple pasta dish, but contains so many elements that previously would not have agreed with me: tomatoes, olive oil, onions, basil. And in the salad: lettuce, hearts of palm, olives, cucumber and tomatoes (no dressing). The flavor was practically jumping off of the plate! I savored every morsel.


What this experience has done for me has reminded me to slow down. The last meal I ate before getting sick was a burger, and I have visions of myself shoving it down my throat, barely tasting it, while trying to do two other things at the same time (when you get to revisit that burger again and again and AGAIN, it truly makes for an unforgettable meal).

I also learned that the more I took away, the better I could taste the food. For instance, normally when making scrambled eggs on toast, I butter the toast, spice up the eggs. Without those things, more of the pure flavors came through.

Now I am being more respectful of my food, eating more slowly, taking smaller bites, and remembering to taste and savor each one.