ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: My Husband Went to Buenos Aires and All I Got Were These Lousy Alfajores

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

My Husband Went to Buenos Aires and All I Got Were These Lousy Alfajores

Well, to be fair, they are very nice alfajores. Alfajores are cookies that are found all over South America - usually a soft cookie sandwich filled with dulce de leche (milk caramel) or fruit jam, and coated with sugar.

The first kind I received were very fancy, with a uniform sugar coating and a big walnut on top. Amazingly, they looked exactly like the picture on the box.



The taste was ok - the cookie part is dry, and the dulce de leche part kind of gets lost in there. As with most alfajores, they're too sweet for me. But I liked the taste and texture of the walnut.

The second kind included a mix of dulce de leche and jam varieties.


They weren't as pretty to look at, but I liked the taste a lot better. This is one with quince jam, which added a much-needed tartness.


The perfect alfajore for me would have a little bit of something salty or savory to contrast with the overwhelmingly sweet taste of the dulce de leche. I have only had those here in the states, where our sweet tooth likes to be shocked a little. Even better, I just love a big jar of dulce de leche to do with what I please - spread it on a cookie, a piece of cake, or over ice cream. There's this one chocolate shop in Palermo Soho in Buenos Aires that gets jars of the stuff made freshly every day. I'll have to get my order in early next time!

Meanwhile, I guess I will just have to *suffer* through these cookies. :)