ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Edible San Francisco

Saturday, August 4, 2007

Edible San Francisco


Every day I am thankful for the bounty and quality of food that is available in San Francisco. A recent article in 7 X 7 magazine likened our city to a Fancy Food Show, and indeed, it is. Although there is a highbrow element to some of our food emporiums (Blue Fog Markets brewing Blue Bottle Coffee, for example), there is also a definite movement towards comfort foods and more simple times. For example, there has been a flurry of new retro-themed restaurants (is fried chicken the new foie gras?), and neighborhood specialty stores.

While I appreciate the beautiful Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market on the Embarcadero, my Saturday morning errands don't usually include paying $5 for parking, eating Miette cakes, and dodging MacLaren strollers right and left. I much prefer the smaller Alemany Farmer's market, which has been in its present location since 1947, and which has grown to include more and more organic farms and food stands. Thankfully, it still remains very real, and always about about affordable seasonal produce (rather than unusual varieties - this is not the place to find French Breakfast radishes, for example).

Today I bought: cherry tomatoes, plums, walnuts, honey, and bee pollen.

This is a pluot that a seller gave me to try - yum!


Oh, I also bought some dahlias - and the seller gave me a great tip: dahlias don't like too much water - only 1 to 1 1/4 inches. Also not too much sun. I got 3 beautiful bouquets for $11.


Afterwards, I went with Jude to a new market that has just opened in her neighborhood of Bernal Heights, called Avedano's.


So you walk in, and it is like stepping back in time - except that instead of a crochety old butcher, there are 2 lesbians behind the counter (Bernal, hello), and the meat is organic and free-range, etc. And there are specialty food items such as lettuces and cheeses and agua frescas, as well as prepared salads and pannins.

It feels like the kind of place where you would walk in and they would say, "hi, Liz" and I would say, "hi, Julia. So what looks good today?" and they would give you something delicious to try and advice on how to cook it.

I bought: pannini rolls, baby arugula, mixed greens, ricotta salata cheese, watermelon agua fresca, cream of tomato soup, and chicken/lime soup. I will be back for: a free range chicken, meat, a sandwich.

Their motto is "Local Food, Local People". And their number is 285-MEAT.