ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: I Love You, I Love You Not

Sunday, August 26, 2007

I Love You, I Love You Not

I have a love/hate relationship with the French.

Let's start with hate, since that is always how I begin my trips here.


I hate the bureaucracy that is rampant throughout France. I mean really, talk about not seeing the forest for the trees. The French are so obsessive about their schedules and rules, that logic flies right out the window! We almost missed our connecting flight from Paris to Toulouse because the terminal transfer bus would not leave to take us to our terminal. It was sitting in front of the stop, with all of us passengers sitting inside, sweating it out, and it would not budge. "We must respect our schedule", was their only reply to our polite request to leave. Tick tock tick tock. Feet tapping. Brows furrowed. Response to our worry? A shoulder shrug, pursed lips. In other words, "Wow, you are screwed, but there isn't anything I can do about it, and frankly, I really don't care." Finally we left, 15 minutes after the so called appointed time. I know that last 15 minutes was pure spite. If it were not for our Air France flight leaving late, we would have missed it (because when they say "gates closed", there is of course no exception). After coming from Dublin, where everyone could not have been nicer or more helpful, all of this shitty attitude seemed entirely unnecessary!

Perhaps all of this hall-monitor behavior around schedules, is what allows them to cook with such passion and creativity. And this is what I love about the French. Food is like a religion here, and it knows no bounds. Everyone from every age and walk of life has very high standards as far as consumption, and they do it with flourish and pride.

My "fast food" meal at Charles de Gaulle airport was no greasy burger and calorie-laden fries - instead I enjoyed a cured ham sandwich, a sparkling water, and a freshly made rhubarb tart, from a wonderful chain called Paul.




And you know what? After my meal, I immediately felt stronger and ready to face the rest of the journey and any roadblocks anyone was going to throw my way.

It really helps to see the light at the end of the tunnel, when you know that that light comes in the form of a buttery patisserie.