ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Chocolate Beer Cupcakes with Chocolate Beer Buttercream

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Chocolate Beer Cupcakes with Chocolate Beer Buttercream

For my last day going to work at IPG after almost 8 years, I brought these cupcakes. Thank to Jeremiah - my ex-coworker - for suggesting the recipe. I have made a Guinness Cake before following the recipe exactly. The cake came out a little dense with not that much of a beer taste. This time I felt like experimenting a bit so I followed the ingredients but beat butter, sugar, and eggs separately from the dry ingredients instead of just combining them



People told me they taste yeasty and felt a bit like young chocolate stout. I thought they were just OK. The cake crumbs were crisp and not too sweet. But the texture was a little dry. So I made chocolate buttercream frosting with the leftover beer from the cupcakes in place of milk instead of cream cheese frosting in the original recipe.



I thought the beer might have made the frosting a little bitter which was good because it offset the sweetness of the buttercream.

Overall, these cupcakes are not for kids. They have intense - a little bitter taste. They are fun and interesting but it's not my favorite chocolate cake recipe.