ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Pear Blueberry Oat Bread

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Pear Blueberry Oat Bread

I was inspired. I saw a recipe and pretty pictures for Oat Pear and Raspberry Loaf almost a month ago and I promised myself that I had to try it. Upon reading the recipe, I realized that it used 11 tablespoons of butter.... I think I consumed enough fat this weekend from all the tiramisu. So I turned to my favorite book - Have Cake and Eat It, Too by Susan Purdy - for a lower fat recipe.

I found a recipe for Nectrarine-Raspberry Coffee Cake using only 3 tablespoons of oil. So I combined the two recipes plus the fact that I have blueberries and no raspberry. And I give you delicious, moist and kinda healthy Pear Blueberry Oat Bread!



Ingredients
  • 1 cup all purpose flour

  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour

  • 1/2 cup quick cooking oats

  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 1 egg

  • 1 cup buttermilk

  • 3 tablespoons extra light tasting olive oil

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • 1/3 cup Agave nectar


  • 2 pears - peeled and chopped

  • 1/2 cup fresh blueberries


  • Crumb topping

  • 1/4 cup raw sugar

  • 1/4 cup quick cooking oats

  • 1 tablespoon butter - chilled and cut into small cubes

  • 1 tablespoon all purpose flour



Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line the bottom of a loaf pan with parchment paper.

  2. Whisk 1 cup of all purpose flour, 1/2 cup oats and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour with baking powder and salt together in a clean bowl.

  3. In a separate bowl, whisk egg, buttermilk, oil, vanilla extract and Agave nectar together until well combined.

  4. Gently fold in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.

  5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle pears and blueberries over the batter.

  6. Rub 1/4 cup raw sugar, 1/4 oats, cubes of butter and all purpose flour by hands and sprinkle over the fruit layer.

  7. Bake for 45 minutes. Let cool in the pan. Run a knife around the pan's edges and remove from the pan.