ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Which Craft?

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Which Craft?


I have a group of friends who are part of a crafting group that meets periodically share food, catch up, and make things. Each one of us has our specialty (some of us, are more, um, enthusiastic than *ahem* talented), and it's a great way to spend a day learning something new while hanging out with your friends. We've done everything from stained glass to sewing to card-making. Some days it's BYOC (Bring Your Own Craft) and people can knit, organize magazine articles, what ever. No matter what we end up doing, they are always a blast.

Yesterday was Amy's annual "Ukranian Egg Decorating" day. These traditional eggs, called pysansky, are made using a wax resist technique. You draw on the eggs using a kystka, a tool that allows hot beeswax to flow through the tip like a pen, and then you dip the egg into different colored dyes, starting with light and ending with dark. You then melt the wax off very carefully using a candle, and if you are so inclined, blow out the contents of the egg using a special tool. It requires creativity, a steady hand, and patience. With practice, the results can be quite beautiful, and can be kept and displayed for years. My cleaning lady breaks all of mine - either by mishap, or perhaps as a commentary on my "art". Here are a few good ones that have survived over the years (not made by me):


Some of the women at yesterday's event had never made Ukranian Eggs before, and they did an amazing job! How cute is that pink squirrel?!!


I had a lovely time stuffing my face with the gorgeous food that everyone brought, and working on my eggs. I love my modern, free-form little creations - like the poor, red-headed stepchildren that they are. When I brought them home, my husband Charles remarked, "Were you angry today?"


I love these days, and look forward to every single one. I can imagine what it must have been like for women in the past, especially in remote areas, when getting together like this was a frequent tradition. The sewing circles and quilting bees of our grandmothers' time have returned in a modern way, and we now see activities such as "Stitch-n-Bitches" popping up everywhere. The difference is that the crafts we make are for pure enjoyment, not necessity. But no matter what the end result is, the sense of community, and the joy of being together, is something that I cherish. I love my Crafty Girls!

Oh yeah, and the mimosas are pretty damned good, too.