ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Mini Yogurt Orange Blossom Cupcakes

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Mini Yogurt Orange Blossom Cupcakes

"It's like spring exploding in your mouth..." - Heng Cheng

I love baking with citrus. It leaves my apartment fragrant for hours. I don't remember how I came across this recipe from Australian GourmetTraveller.com. The measurement was in metrics. It would be the first time I had to convert a recipe into American measurement. Nevertheless, I was so delighted I couldn't wait to try it. I got a bottle of orange blossom water for last year's orange blossom cake. I haven't touched it since. It's expiring at the end of this year. I need to find ways to use it more. Maybe I'll just put it in a spray bottle and use it as perfume.... It smells that good.

I decided that I would make these cupcakes smaller than usual. I'm bringing them to a dinner party where a few people would bring baked goods for dessert. This way, we could try all the yummy cakes and cookies.


Tiny orange cake from my tiny kitchen


These mini cakes were delicious and light coming out of the oven. They settled and got a bit denser overnight. It might be because I didn't sift flour according to the original recipe.


Mini cupcake before frosting.


Ingredients - Make 30 mini cupcakes
  • 2 cups all purpose flour

  • 2 teaspoon baking powder

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 1 1/2 cups vanilla yogurt

  • 1/4 cup buttermilk

  • Grated orange rind from one orange

  • 1 1/2 sticks butter (12 tablespoons) at room temperature

  • 1 cup sugar

  • 4 eggs

  • For Frosting

  • 1/2 stick butter (4 tablespoons) at room temperature

  • 1 cup confectioner sugar

  • 1 stick cream cheese

  • 1 tablespoon orange blossom water


Frosted cupcakes

  1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line muffin pans with liners.

  2. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk yogurt, buttermilk and orange rind together.

  3. With an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition.

  4. Alternately stir (at the lowest setting) in flour mixture and yogurt into the batter in 3 batches. Stir until just combined and there's no visible white flour.

  5. Drop the batter by rounded tablespoon into the prepared muffin pans. Fill only up to 1/3 to make mini cupcakes. Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool on a cooling rack.

  6. To make the frosting, beat butter and confectioner sugar together with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add cream cheese and orange blossom water. Beat the frosting until fluffy.

  7. Drop a rounded teaspoon of the frosting on top of cooled cupcake. With the back of a spoon, spread the frosting to fill up to the top of liner. Decorate with orange rind.


Ready for dinner party


I love this recipe and how the cakes tasted and smelled. I might have to find some kind of excuse to make this again.