ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Which Came First?

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Which Came First?


What does this look like to you? Packaging? Insulation? Sponges?

How about...the weirdest after-school snack I have ever eaten.

What you are looking at are called eggettes, from an odd establishment called "Eggettes" in Glen Park. Apparently they are famous enough that their name alone will inspire those in the know to flock there. They are a sort of waffle, but not like any waffle I've ever had. Aunt Jemima is nowhere to be found. In fact, the taste is more like a waffle-cone than a waffle. There is crunch, and there is chew. They're pretty good - only it feels like they should be under something - a mound of ice cream, or whipped cream, or chocolate syrup. Still, they are kind of oddly fascinating, and at $2.50, an affordable indulgence for the puberty set.

Kristina and I ventured there on Monday afternoon, just in time for an after-school snack. I was amazed to see the strange variety of products offered - from Filipino food, to boba, to rice bowls. Is this place the Young People's Guide to Asia (eggettes originate from Hong Kong), via cheap street food? Waiting for our treats, we could not help but fall victim to the toy dispensers, offering everything from Pixar characters to Winnie the Pooh. Me, I thought it was appropritate to get an egg-creature. Look how fine he looks sitting next to the chocolate eggette! He's like a little mascot.


I swear, sometimes I think I could host my own version of "No Reservations" or "Bizarre Foods" without ever leaving San Francisco.