ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Special-Occasion Cupcakes

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Special-Occasion Cupcakes

For Jude's birthday, I turned it up a notch on my cupcake endeavors. I decided to make Salted Caramel/Chocolate Cupcakes and Grapefruit/Vanilla Cupcakes. Each one required a little bit of inventiveness, and an extra step.

For the Caramel Chocolate Cupcakes, I used my same base recipe for the sour cream chocolate cake, then found a Salted Caramel frosting recipe on the Cupcake Bake Shop blog.

The challenge? Making salted caramel, which is basically like making candy. The ingredients are simple, it's the technique that requires some skill. I had to make it twice, but the second time turned out perfectly perfect.

Salted Caramel

4 tablespoons water
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt, kosher or sea

1. Combine the water, sugar, and the corn syrup in a deep saucepan and cook over medium heat.
2. Stir together with a wooden spoon until the sugar is incorporated.
3. Cover the saucepan and let it cook over medium heat for 3 minutes.
4. After 3 minutes, remove the lid, increase the heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil.
5. Do not stir from this point on, but it is important to carefully shake the pan so that one area of the caramel doesn’t burn.
6. Continue to cook until the caramel turns an even amber color then remove from the heat and let stand for about 30 seconds.
7. *** This is the dangerous part *** Pour the heavy cream into the mixture. Wear oven mitts, stand away from the pan, and be careful. The mixture will bubble up significantly.
8. Stir the mixture, again being careful. Add the butter, lemon juice, and salt. Stir until combined.
9. Measure 1 cup into a Pyrex measuring cup. Stirring occasionally, allow to cool until thick like molasses and warm to the touch, about 20 minutes.

Basically, you just blend this into your favorite cream cheese frosting recipe and it is MMMM MMMM good. After frosting the cupcakes, I sprinkled them with more salt and these gorgeous matte-gold sprinkles that I bought at Cooks Boulevard in Noe Valley. Now that I know how to make the caramel, I will make this again - one day.

Much to my delight, these were so pretty and a huge hit. Either that, or my friends are just the most awesome people ever. Actually, I think it's both. :)