ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Vanilla Cupcakes with Blueberry Cream Cheese Frosting

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Vanilla Cupcakes with Blueberry Cream Cheese Frosting

... or baking is my action meditation.

Apologies to my few readers if you find this post more about me than food. I was on a hiatus for two weeks trying to heal my heartache. But then I realized that dwelling in the past would neither lead me anywhere nor heal anything.

A couple of days ago I got a chance to catch up with an old friend. I updated him about changes in my life and he said - "wow - since the last time I talked to you, your life completely changed! Your residence status changed after 9 years in the US (I got a greencard a few months ago), you are changing your job of 7 years and you broke up with your boyfriend of 1 year."

That's right. Change is part of life. A relationship that doesn't work out is just one small part of it. Stop moping and move on...

So I started thinking about what cupcakes to make for a friend's art opening party instead of what I could have done differently to make that relationship work. I decided that it would be a good idea to put fresh blueberry in cream cheese frosting. I intended a swirl-like frosting. It didn't work out visually.



As I combined the ingredients, put the cupcakes in the oven, let them cool and frosted them, I realized how much my mind was at peace. I enjoyed doing this. I loved thinking about how my friends would appreciate them and how much I am thankful that they are in my life.

I will probably still be sad for a little while longer. But I promise myself not to stop doing what I like and being who I am.



Ingredients - make 28 cupcakes
  • 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour

  • 1 teaspoon baking powder

  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 2 sticks unsalted butter - at room temperature

  • 2 cups sugar

  • 4 eggs

  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

  • 1 cup plain yogurt


  • For Frosting

  • 1/2 cup of fresh blueberries

  • 1 stick butter - at room temperature

  • 2 packages cream cheese - at room temperature

  • 2 cups confectioner sugar




Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with liners

  2. Combine all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.

  3. With an electric mixer, beat 2 sticks of butter with 2 cups of sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beat well after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract.

  4. Stir the dry ingredients into the batter alternately with yogurt in 3 batches. Use spatula to scrape the bowl if needed.

  5. Drop the batter by tablespoonful into prepared muffin pan - about half full. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool on a cooling rack.

  6. To make the frosting, reserve 28 good looking blueberries for decoration. Process the rest in a small food processor.

  7. Beat 1 stick of butter, 2 packages of cream cheese and confectioner sugar in a clean electric mixer until well blended and fluffy. With a spatula, fold in the processed blueberries.

  8. Drop a generous teaspoonful of frosting on cool cupcakes and frost. Decorate with reserved whole blueberries.