ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Chocolate Cupcakes - Three Ways

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Chocolate Cupcakes - Three Ways

I wanted to bring chocolate cupcakes to a party. But how would I make it exciting and special? I put chilies in them. I frosted them with green tea frosting. I frosted them with pink butter cream and peanut butter. I even baked them with beer. I was running out of ideas. Almost.


Chocolate cupcake with cream cheese frosting


I made my killer chocolate cupcakes from my favorite cupcakes recipe. Frosted them with my favorite cream cheese frosting. (Recipe below.)


Chocolate cupcake with cream cheese frosting and chopped pistachios


Then dipped them in chopped pistachios. I did this before with the chocolate green tea cupcakes with great success. And this time, they are still awesome.


Chocolate cupcake with cream cheese frosting and chopped hazelnuts


And to up myself a little, I also dipped some in chopped toasted hazelnuts. I personally don't like hazelnuts. But people went crazy for these.

Ingredients - make 30 cupcakes
  • 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour

  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1 teaspoon baking powder

  • 2 sticks butter - room temperature

  • 2 cups sugar

  • 4 large eggs

  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

  • 1 cup buttermilk


Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two muffin pans with liners.

  2. With an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy - about 2 to 3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beat well after each addition. Add vanilla extract. Scrape the bowl if needed.

  3. In a clean bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and baking powder together. Sift a third into the wet ingredients. Stir. Add 1/3 cup of buttermilk. Repeat until all the ingredients are combined.

  4. Drop by tablespoon onto the prepare pan. Take care to fill up to only half as the cupcakes will rise. Bake for 20 to 23 minutes. Rotate and switch shelf half way during the baking time (if you bake two pans at the same time.)


Cream cheese frosting
When the cupcakes are completely cool, with an electric mixer with wire attachment, beat 1 stick of room-temperature butter with a package of 8oz. cream cheese and a cup of confectioner sugar until fluffy - about 3 to 4 minutes. Scrape the bowl a couple of times.