ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Farmers Market Lunch

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Farmers Market Lunch


This cookbook was given to me by my friends Jill & Shyam, as a present for our 15th wedding anniversary. I knew I would find something in here to fulfill my weekly recipe project as well as to use the beautiful produce bought at the market this morning.


What I ended up with was a loose interpretation of a shaved fennel salad that was absolutely delicious:


I didn't have a few of the ingredients, so I just substituted where I needed to and it turned out very well. The vinaigrette was made up of finely diced red onion soaked in 2 T. red wine vinegar and salt for 5 minutes. Then I whisked in 5 T. of extra virgin olive oil. I tossed heirloom lettuce and shaved fennel in a bowl and lightly dressed the salad, then added less than 1 t. of truffle oil and tossed it again. I shaved a little parmesean on top and added 1 ripe pluot, and the salad was done! Recipe #4 completed.

For dessert, I made one of my favorite dishes that I had at my friend Amy's house several years ago - nonfat yogurt drizzled with honey, strawberries, pistachios, and fresh mint. The combination of flavors is absolute heaven, and the strawberries could not have been more sweet and ripe. What a wonderful meal!