ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Not Fast Food

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Not Fast Food


I have to start off by saying that European airports never fail to delight me. It's like a perfect exercise in supply-and-demand: Europeans demand sit-down, good meals, no matter how much time they have. The airports provide them with anything from coffee bars to full restaurants, placed throughout the space where we would normally see Pizza Hut and Cinnabon, or those horrible Cheers-type bar/restaurants that are anything but inviting.

This was my first meal after the long plane ride between Chicago and Munich, before our next leg to Toulouse. After some very sorry fare on United (calling it "food" was a stretch), we sat down at this place and I ordered a Weiner Schnitzel. It was delicious, generously portioned, made well, and came with a plethora of cold salads. Sadly, I think they added the ketchup because they though that as an American, I would ask for it anyway. Do they write that on the order pad? "A" for American, which means, add ketchup? Sigh.

There was a noticeable difference on our next flight, which was on Luftansa. For just a little over an hour's flight, we received a very nice sandwich for lunch - good bread, good cheese, and a smear of butter to help it go down. I don't want to continually gripe about Americans or American food, but our airlines are not helping me to feel very nationalistic about it.